Friday 5 February 2021

Gray

It was evening time. The sky had just turned purple after a short dusk. I was in a building with a very familiar corridor. It was where my Bombay Peddananna and Sunitha Peddamma stayed. Yet, the house we entered was not really their house. The house looked like someone's house in Rohan Mithila. This house was dimly lit - nothing but a yellow lamp in the corner. As I stepped on the door frame, I realised I was there for a family gathering.

The first face I saw as I stepped in was my late Leela Peddananna's. He was holding a glass of rum in his hand, as he usually did. He was in his typical inebriated, jolly, calm mood childishly making fun of us. I heard someone laugh on my right. I realised it was my father. I saw many more people, but I did not notice them. I knew they were all the usual suspects - all the aunts and uncles I had to say hello to.

At that moment, I felt a longing in my heart. I wanted to be elsewhere. There was a woman who I wanted to meet. She stayed close by. I knew this woman. I knew her in real life, too. Someone vaguely present in my memory. In the dream, I felt very strongly for her. But, I don't remember her face. I remember her being short, lean, with straight shoulder-length hair. I wanted to meet her.

So, I picked the most opportune moment to leave. I ignored everyone who wanted me to stay for a while. I went to meet her. Outside, I noticed the building was also like Rohan Mithila, with a massive garden in between the blocks. There, she stood waiting for me.

The floodlights, combined with purple of the sky, made everything hazy gray. We ran through that gray. We sat down together for a while and spoke in the mist. I could feel the touch of this person, feel her embrace when we hugged and when she leaned onto my hand. I remember feeling peaceful and calm in my head at this point in the dream. 

But, I knew that this was a dream. I knew that this woman who feels real is probably a puff of smoke in my head. I didn't want that moment to end abruptly. So, I told her that I had to go back. She walked with me until my Peddamma's house. She stood outside the door and said bye. 

I opened the door, and as I stepped into it, I woke up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment